This area of practice has a broad scope and can often involve drawing upon the counsel of numerous specialists, in areas including corporate, tax, financial services and wider regulatory, litigation, real estate, employment and pensions, amongst others.
Our full service, integrated team have considerable experience and expertise in advising a wide variety of clients (including private investors, family offices, middle market operators and large multinationals) by identifying and presenting often novel, practical solutions to complex situations, offering a clear and concise explanation of potential risks and pertinent considerations so as to assist relevant decision makers in matters involving:
- streamlining or re-organisation of cross-border corporate structures (whether to optimise the effectiveness and substance of holding or operating companies or particular assets, and sometimes involving distributions and wider repatriation of assets out of a Gibco with and without availability of distributable reserves [including where tied-up as share premium, which is not directly distributable under Gibraltar law])
- contributions to, by or through a Gibraltar company
- intended transactions where there are potential tax impacts (whether in Gibraltar or elsewhere) depending on how these may be characterised or pursued
- circumstances where there are Gibraltar entities forming part of a Group that has or expects to file for Chapter 11 or other foreign bankruptcy proceedings
- wider insolvency situations
- financing aspects
- distressed debt scenarios
- exits, etc.
Some recent instances of our assistance in this sphere include:
- advising on the hiving-off of a Gibco top holding company (and all subsidiaries [and their assets and liabilities] beneath the same) as part of the Chapter 11 reorganisation of an offshore ultra-deepwater drilling company.
- a technical and extensive restructuring of an NYSE listed American manufacturing company, including carefully managed liquidation processes in light of potential Chinese indirect transfer tax considerations.
- a Gibraltar court-sanctioned share premium reduction (noting that, in certain circumstances, and subject to confirmation of the court, there may be some latitude and optionality regarding the repayment of reduced stated capital or share premium of a Gibraltar entity either directly as a return of capital/share premium or, in the alternative, its recharacterization as capital reserves allowing for potential future repatriation by way of distribution out of distributable reserves).
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, one of the greatest basketball players of all time, amassed six championships during his career in the National Basketball Association, and scored 38,387 points (an NBA record). What […]
The European Parliament voted last week overwhelmingly in favour of pushing for the re-casting of the EU blacklist such as to widen its scope and effect. Jersey, Guernsey, Bermuda, Bahamas, […]
Almost a year removed from Covid-19’s inception and infiltration into western societies, corporations have attempted to remain flexible and responsive to the altered reality and business climate presented by the […]
Big players in every industry continue to adapt to the ever-evolving landscape to ensure the longevity and success of their businesses. Towards the end of 2020, we assisted in a […]
There’s never been a better time to set up a business in Gibraltar. Gibraltar continues to offer many advantages for entrepreneurs chasing their dream as well as international companies looking […]
Hassans advises many of the world’s the leading FinTech companies and have been instrumental in attracting some of the biggest cryptocurrency and blockchain-based brands and exchanges to Gibraltar, assisting with […]
Very shortly after the 23rd June 2016 Brexit vote, I bumped into my since sadly departed political friend (and occasional adversary), Juan Carlos Perez. On this day our analysis was […]