Corporate & Commercial Work
With roots firmly seated in Hassans’ Corporate and Commercial Department for almost two decades, Vikram has substantial experience in all aspects of corporate transactional work and commercial projects, specialising in investment and finance structures as well as large corporate mergers and acquisitions. Vikram has advised numerous multinational companies on corporate matters and their international transactional work. In addition, he is very experienced in cross-border structures and transactions. Vikram also acts as an executive director on the boards of many internationally recognised companies, including on the board for many years on what was the acquisition and holding vehicle for the Walgreens Boots Alliance business.
Chambers & Partners Global, Chambers & Partners Europe and by Legal 500 have over the years reported sources saying the following about Vikram:
“Fantastic to deal with.”
“Thoughtful and considered.”
“An excellent lawyer with good commercial experience.”
“He cuts to the chase, delivers and has a good understanding of what you want.”
“He always prepares contracts in a very simple way to understand… he is extremely accessible.”
“He has extensive experience working with the firm’s international clients in cross-border transactions.”
As a fully qualified Trusts and Estate Practitioner, Vikram advises certain high net worth individuals and families on their personal and business matters, and assists with the structuring of personal wealth and business assets. Vikram also acts as an executive director for some of the Firm’s largest private clients, building close relationships with his clients and deeply understanding their businesses in order to provide real and effective management and control. He is well regarded as a trusted advisor to high net worth individuals and families.
As Chambers & Partners Europe reported from one source: “If you’re not in the country and don’t see the lawyer personally, you need to trust the person who is there; he is very responsive and responsible, which is convenient for us.”
Vikram has a profound knowledge in a range of core topics in Fintech, which range from token issuances, security token offerings, and other distributed ledger technology matters including licence applications under Gibraltar’s DLT Providers Regulations. He has also assisted with the development of the DLT regulatory framework in Gibraltar, including being involved in the drafting of Regulatory Guidance Notes to Gibraltar’s Distributed Ledger Technology Regulations and assisting with the draft regulatory framework for Tokens in Gibraltar.
Vikram has co-authored two Manuals on Virtual Currencies for the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, intended as training and educational manuals for law enforcement agencies and for regulators. He has attended the European Commission’s Blockchain Observatory and Forum, and is an inaugural member of the advisor board of the European Law Observatory of New Technologies, having delivered the first ELONtech workshop on “Token Sale Regulations and Best Practices” and participated in formal ELONtech roundtable discussions. He has also contributed to various international events and initiatives as a speaker and is considered a thought leader in the space.
Chambers Fintech reported from one source: “He is extremely knowledgeable, detail-orientated, and one of the highest quality professionals I’ve worked with. His service is outstanding.”
Vikram has for several years been consistently ranked by Chambers & Partners Global, Chambers & Partners Europe and by Legal 500 EMEA as a “Leading Lawyer” for Corporate, Commercial and TMT and FinTech.
Some of the noteworthy Gibraltar law matters that Vikram has worked on are as follows:
- Acting on the £11.7 billion management buyout of the Alliance Boots Plc business in 2007, and its subsequent merger with Walgreens in 2012 and 2015.
- Leading the Gibraltar team on the first Gibraltar European cross-border merger of two listed e-gaming companies to create the world’s then-largest online gaming company in Gibraltar, the shares of which are listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- Acting for a global retailer in respect of a bond refinance (transaction value in excess of US$400 million).
- Leading the Gibraltar team on the simultaneous European cross-border mergers of three Gibraltar companies that formed part of the corporate group of a global luxury hotel resort brand into a legal entity incorporated in another European Member State.
- Advising on and establishing a Gibraltar structure to facilitate the acquisition and financing of a German bank by certain private investors.
- Advising on and assisting on the Gibraltar corporate aspects of a €1 billion bond issue by a global packaging company.
- Acting for one of the world’s largest paper manufacturers on all Gibraltar aspects of a European-wide restructure and US$1 billion financing and, establishing a Gibraltar corporate structure to facilitate the same.
- Acting for a joint venture partner in connection with the provision of finance and the acquisition of shares in a Cypriot company to act as the holding company of a group owning and developing numerous property portfolios in Bulgaria and Romania.
- Advising on and establishing a Gibraltar corporate structure for the acquisition of three Boeing 747 freighter aircraft.
- Advising a global luxury hotel brand on all Gibraltar aspects of a European-wide approx. US$1.2 billion financing and restructure and, establishing a Gibraltar corporate structure to facilitate the same.
- Advising Telegram Group Inc. in connection with Gibraltar element of the 1st stage US$850 million sale of rights to the ‘Gram’ token.
- Acting for various Gibraltar Token Sale projects.
A graduate of Cardiff University, Vikram attended Cardiff Law School as a member of the Middle Temple and was called to the Bar in England and Wales and in Gibraltar in 2001. Vikram is a qualified and full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners and, is also a qualified and practising Notary Public in Gibraltar. In addition, Vikram is an Executive MBA graduate of Cranfield School of Management.
Outside the office, Vikram has served as a long-standing president of the Gibraltar Hindu Community and, as a member of the Gibraltar Police Authority (a statutory body that oversees and ensures the probity and efficiency of the Royal Gibraltar Police) for over a decade. Vikram is presently a panel member of the Gibraltar Office of Fair Trading. Vikram has also recently been appointed as the Gibraltar Lead Ambassador for the Litecoin Foundation.
Vikram is passionate about environmental and sustainability matters and regularly assists in the Firm’s environmental and sustainability initiatives, including the establishment of The Hassans Environmental Trust.