James is an Associate within Hassans’ international cross-border corporate, commercial and tax team, and advises a spectrum of US and European MNEs, family offices, and PE/VC firms (each of whom operate in a many varying sectors and industries). James also liaises with, and is also customarily seen being instructed by professional intermediaries, notably legal (Magic Circle and US/UK City law firms), accounting (Big 4), and independent corporate services providers from a wide range of jurisdictions.
Since joining Hassans in 2015, James is regularly instructed on a large variety of corporate mandates, including SPV establishment/incorporations, corporate re-structuring and maintenance, M&A, cross-border leveraged, equity and debt financing transactions, financial assistance, liquidations, joint-ventures, project management and corporate governance matters.
Below are illustrations of the recent mandates James has been instructed, including advising:
- On all Gibraltar corporate and legal aspects in relation to an initial US Bankruptcy Chapter 11 emergence, and subsequent large scale ~USD 1 billion note issuance, ancillary financing, and corporate restructuring following group consolidation (including debt/equity swaps), of a large offshore drilling corporate group;
- a large family office’s entry (via their incorporation of a Gibraltar SPV), into a joint-venture acquisition of substantial German real estate (inclusive of ongoing capital financing mechanics and distribution flow aspects in connection therewith);
- on the purchase of UK real estate by a UHNW private client (via the acquisition of shares of a technically insolvent Gibraltar SPV and corresponding consideration of ancillary financial assistance aspects in relation to the same);
- on the initial financing (and subsequent secured refinancing and amendment) of an LSE listed gaming group’s ~GBP 1.4 billion merger and acquisition of an online gambling group;
- an LSE listed online derivatives trading platform’s entity rationalisation project (inclusive of all requisite steps in pursuance of the assignment/novation and settlement of extensive intra-group positions);
- a NYSE listed international online payment gateway provider on the cross-border legal and equitable jurisdictional transfers of its respective business interests;
- on the steps, processes and implementation of the re-domiciliation (by way of continuation from Gibraltar to Italy), of an MIL listed wind power operator’s hitherto Gibraltar SPV;
- on the corporate restructuring and subsequent winding-up (by way of member’s voluntary liquidations) of a global technology software enterprises’ legacy structure; and
- the sole bookrunner in connection with a Gibraltar based corporate group’s issuance of a EUR 58,000,000 bond listed on Nasdaq Stockholm.
Education & Background
A graduate from the University of Surrey and University College London, James holds a specialist LLM Master’s Degree in Corporate Law. Prior to joining the legal profession in Gibraltar, James worked in the United States of America at the New York City Council as a legislative and policy analyst for Letitia James, the current Attorney General of New York.
James is a member of the Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn, and was Called to the Bar of England and Wales in 2014, and subsequently in Gibraltar in 2015.
‘Institutional Investors and the Stewardship Code: An Analysis of why Institutional Investors do not Monitor or Engage’ International Company and Commercial Law Review, 2017 28(3), 107-114.