Vikram has substantial experience in a range of core topics in Fintech, regularly advising clients on initial coin offerings, security token offerings, other distributed ledger technology matters including licence applications under Gibraltar’s DLT Providers Regulations. He has also assisted with the development of the DLT regulatory framework in Gibraltar, including being involved in the drafting of Regulatory Guidance Notes to Gibraltar’s Distributed Ledger Technology Regulations and assisting with the regulatory framework for Tokens in Gibraltar.
Vikram is a co-author of the United Nations Manual on Virtual Currencies (to be published later this year) and has also been a contributor to the European Commission’s Blockchain Observatory and Forum. In addition, he is an inaugural member of the advisor board of the European Law Observatory of New Technologies, having delivered the first ELONtech workshop on “Token Sale Regulations and Best Practices” and participated in formal ELONtech roundtable discussions. He has also contributed to various international events and initiatives as a speaker.
In addition, Vikram acts on all aspects of corporate transactional work and commercial projects, specialising in investment and finance structures and mergers and acquisitions. Vikram advises numerous multinational companies on corporate matters and is very experienced in cross-border structures and transactions. Vikram also advises certain high net worth individuals and families on their personal and business structures.
Vikram is ranked “Leading Lawyer” for Corporate, Commercial and TMT by Legal 500 EMEA for 2018/19, and top ranked for FinTech by Chambers 2019
A graduate of Cardiff University, Vikram attended Cardiff Law School as a member of the Middle Temple and was called to the Bar in England and Wales and in Gibraltar in 2001. Vikram is a qualified and full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners and, is also a qualified and practising Notary Public in Gibraltar. In addition, Vikram is an Executive MBA graduate of Cranfield School of Management.
Outside the office, Vikram has served as a long-standing president of the Gibraltar Hindu Community and, as a member for over a decade of the Gibraltar Police Authority (a statutory body that oversees and ensures the probity and efficiency of the Royal Gibraltar Police). Vikram is presently a panel member of the Gibraltar Office of Fair Trading. Vikram has also recently been appointed as the Gibraltar Lead Ambassador for the Litecoin Foundation.
Some of the more noteworthy transactions that Vikram has worked on are as follows:
- Advising Telegram Group Inc. in connection with Gibraltar element of the 1st stage $850 million sale of rights to the ‘Gram’ token
- Acting for various Gibraltar Token Sale projects
- Acting for a global retailer in respect of a bond refinance (transaction value in excess of $400 million)
- Acting in respect of the delivery of sale proceeds of a European pharmaceutical group (transaction value of over USD 17 billion)
- Leading the Gibraltar team on the simultaneous European cross-border mergers of three Gibraltar companies that formed part of the corporate group of a global luxury hotel resort brand into a legal entity incorporated in another European Member State.
- Leading the Gibraltar team on the first Gibraltar European cross-border merger of two listed e-gaming companies to create the world’s then-largest online gaming company in Gibraltar, the shares of which are listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- Advising on and establishing a Gibraltar structure to facilitate the acquisition and financing of a German bank by numerous private investors.
- Advising on and assisting on the Gibraltar corporate aspects of a EUR 1 billion bond issue by a global packaging company.
- Acting for a joint venture partner in connection with the provision of finance and the acquisition of shares in a Cypriot company to act as the holding company of a group owning and developing numerous property portfolios in Bulgaria and Romania.
- Acting for one of the world’s largest paper manufacturers on all Gibraltar aspects of a European-wide restructure and USD 1 billion financing and, establishing a Gibraltar corporate structure to facilitate the same.
- Acting for, advising on and establishing a multi-tiered Gibraltar corporate structure in respect of the approx. GBP 11 billion MBO of one of Europe’s largest pharmaceutical groups.
- Advising on and establishing a Gibraltar corporate structure for the acquisition of three Boeing 747 freighter aircraft.
- Advising a global luxury hotel brand on all Gibraltar aspects of a European-wide approx. USD 1.2 billion financing and restructure and, establishing a Gibraltar corporate structure to facilitate the same.