Gemma specialises in corporate advisory work, advising clients on a range of different transactions including:
- advising the Government of Gibraltar in revising the Companies Act. which is looking to come into force in 2014
- assisting the Waterford Wedgwood Royal Doulton group with all the corporate aspects of the Gibraltar companies within the group, as well as assisting numerous high street names with their franchising arrangements and advising on general corporate aspects of Gibraltar law.
- assisting several city based private equity firms, including Montagu Private Equity in the corporate restructure of several of their funds
- being involved in the acquisition of several high value assets (such as a portfolio of properties for UK high street retailer and the acquisition of a plane) and
- assisting with numerous funds with the acquisition of distressed assets.
Gemma completed her training contract at Slaughter and May (spending six months at Uria Menendez’s offices in Madrid) before qualifying as a Solicitor in the Slaughter and May Banking department, where she worked on several acquisition finance transactions and the high profile re-financing of several public companies.
A graduate from Oriel College, Oxford University, Gemma completed her LPC in the Oxford Institute of Legal Studies. Gemma was called to the Gibraltar Bar in 2007, and can practice as both a Barrister and Solicitor in Gibraltar. Since returning to Gibraltar she has lectured in Contract Law at the Gibraltar College of Further Education.
Gemma is currently Chair of the Gibraltar Federation of Small Businesses and, sits on numerous government boards including the Trade Licensing Authority, the Small Business Advisory Board and the Gibraltar Broadcasting Corporation Board.